The biggest fashion evening out there is back, and with it a slew of memes and mixed reactions from the internet.
The Met Gala 2022, a fundraising feature for the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, has officially returned to New York City’s Upper East Side on May 3 (Philippines time).
With a “Gilded Glamor” theme, this year’s Met Gala focused on the fashion of the Gilded Age in the USA, which ran from the 1870s to the 1890s, and attendees were expected to respect the dress code and “embody the grandeur” of the Gilded Age New York.
The star-studded event drew an audience around the world expecting celebrities to grace the red carpet in themed outfits (think corsets, lavish gowns, and lavish hats). However, not everyone managed to follow this year’s theme, which led to mixed reactions from the audience.
From channeling inner Miranda Priestley to spotting surprise guest looks, let’s take a look at some of the memes, reactions, and tweets from the recently concluded Met Gala 2022.
Me, my pajamas, and the Met Gala 2022
Who says we need an invitation to judge this year’s Met Gala 2022 looks when you can wear your favorite pajamas and enjoy the comfort of your own home?
– straw | This TV Love (evermoksh) May 2, 2022
– ✨ (PRADAXBBY) May 2, 2022
– Laura (puresthin) May 2, 2022
I’m getting ready to judge every aspect of the Met Gala pic.twitter.com/RdcGxNbuwO
– Come on 🧁 (girImuse) May 2, 2022
Expectations versus reality
Of course, no Met Gala is complete without Twitter users’ inner Miranda Priestly channel. For some Twitter users, some celebrities’ outfits weren’t what they expected to see when they thought about fashion during the golden age.
– ♡ (@jolangfrds) May 2, 2022
– Dan (repshours) May 2, 2022
– Meadow 🌨 (MeadowRoss) May 2, 2022
– Delaney (@lanemckelvie) May 2, 2022
– – (honsooI) May 2, 2022
– Shay Lee (badguyshay) May 2, 2022
– Laura (puresthin) May 2, 2022
Some users also made no secret of their disappointment with Emma Stone’s outfits, noting the fact that she played a fashion designer named Cruella de Vil in the 2021 Disney movie Cruella. Phoebe Denivore also caught her eye for wearing a sheer black Louis Vuitton gown – an outfit they didn’t expect the Bridgerton actress to wear.
– Carla (koredakota) May 2, 2022
– Sarah (@saraa_oz) May 2, 2022
– 𝐑𝐄𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐂𝐀. (sweetlikebeck) May 2, 2022
Math doesn’t count pic.twitter.com/2jelQUy5mI
– Tori (@voguepearls) May 2, 2022
Surprise guest appearance
At this year’s Met Gala, Twitter users spotted some unexpected guests walking the red carpet – including Barbie’s Rapunzel’s Duchess Rowena, Shrek, and more.
– ✨✨✨ (@438euphoria) May 2, 2022
– 𝑅𝒶𝓎 (@ray_f13) May 2, 2022
– Duff! (davphoria) May 2, 2022
– Emily ♡ (@tomhollandsdaya) May 2, 2022
– Emma by the hour (@hourlyEMA_) May 3, 2022
Same energy and feelings
Twitter users also mocked “Havana” singer Camila Cabello, comparing her outfit to cake.
– THEFINEBARB (THEFINEBARB) May 2, 2022
– (@itsthegc222) May 2, 2022
Some celebrities have also been compared to cartoon characters, such as Rapper Bad Bunny, who looks like Fru Fru from the 2016 movie Zootopia, and Mindy Kaling, who gave off the same energy as Isabela Madrigal from Encanto.
– Ja (@ArrietaJustin) May 3, 2022
– guille ʚɞ -15 (gwallshl) May 2, 2022
Fans also didn’t miss Shawn Mendes’ look as the singer wore an outfit similar to that of Doctor Strange.
– Lucci (@luchino_) May 2, 2022
– Wilden (@gotwildt) May 2, 2022
Sebastian Stan’s light pink set has also been compared to Stabilo’s pink highlighter.
Age of Grace ४ Moon Night; day of the month (merccvry) May 2, 2022
Innovative black tuxedo
Since the Met Gala is fashion’s biggest night out, for some Twitter users, men should wear more than just a black tuxedo.
– 🧣 AHAHAHA’s wildest dreams 🧣 (swiftoursonggg) May 2, 2022
– ♒️ Age of Aquarius ✨ (NettaJxn) May 2, 2022
– ༺ Nitza ༻ (nitzamanzano) May 2, 2022
– (foIkIodrama) May 2, 2022
– Картошька! krtsh-kaa (@krtsh_kaa) May 3, 2022
Celebrities who succeeded in the mission
While some celebrities didn’t follow the dress code, there are a few who certainly did.
Case in point, Met Gala host Blake Lively was the talk of the town in her reversible rose gold gown that later revealed a light blue train. Twitter users defended Lively for killing the event with her gorgeous looks.
– Mimi The Music Blogger (@mdaixo) May 2, 2022
– Ahmed (thisisnotahmad) May 2, 2022
– BadgalVale (@badgalvale) May 2, 2022
If there’s one thing Blake Lively will do it’s give a look at The Dead Party pic.twitter.com/Ozc2jP4f99
– dolphin (@seeitinmymind) May 2, 2022
Aside from Lively, Genesis Camila Soero, a Telemundo reporter who covered the charity event, caught everyone’s attention. Soiro wore a gold Lucia Rodriguez dress, and stole the show to understand the mission and celebrity prestige.
– Paul (@TARL0S) May 2, 2022
– N SAW MoM ᱬ (@bettergiaw) May 2, 2022
– sıla || See Louis!! (lightoflou) May 2, 2022
What are your favorite Met Gala 2022 memes? Let us know in the comments below!
Another POP! Stories you may like:
Top 10 Favorite Online Looks From The Met Gala 2021
Timothée Chalamet flirts with Kiki Palmer at the Met Gala 2021
Step aside, Rosé and CL are making k-pop idol history at the Met Gala