Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn have been going strong for six years. The couple have worked hard to keep their love story a secret (it’s still unclear whether these engagement rumors are true or not), but every now and then, we get little glimpses into their relationship. No matter how much they reveal, Swift and Alwyn have made it clear that they don’t plan to announce their sweet romance anytime soon — if at all.
Fortunately, Swift’s music doubled as a documentary in their relationship. We’ve seen (or rather heard) their love for each other grow with each album, from “Reputation” and “Lovers” to “Folklore” and “Forever” lately. Naturally, Swift’s music made fans even more curious about the status of their relationship.
While promoting Hulu’s new series ‘Conversations With Friends’, the British actor briefly touched on why he hasn’t addressed the engagement rumors. “If you give it to them, it just opens the door,” he told WSJ magazine.
It’s rare for a couple to publicly address their romance, but we’ve found the sweetest quotes they’ve said about each other and their relationship over the years. Keep reading to find out what they have to say about keeping their romance a secret and more.
Joe Alwyn Taylor Swift
- To keep their relationship private: “I know people want to know this side of things. I think we’ve been very successful with privacy and it has now sunk into people…but I’d rather talk about business.”
- Rumors of engagement: “If I had a pound every time I thought I was told I was engaged, I would have a lot of coins. I mean, the truth is, if the answer was yes, I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t say, and if the answer was no, I wouldn’t.”
- On being in a monogamous relationship: “I think people can do whatever they want and make them happy. Obviously, I’m happy in a monogamous relationship.”
- About how he feels about Swift writing songs about him: “it is fun.”
- Not to publicly share the ins and outs of their relationship: “I think there’s a very clear line in terms of what someone should share, or feel they should share, what they don’t want and what they shouldn’t.”
- About writing music with Swift: “It came from fiddling at the piano, singing badly, and then hearing you, and being, like, ‘Let’s see what happens if we get to the end of it together. I mean, fun is a stupid word, but it was so much fun. And it was never a practical thing, or ‘let’s try and do this because we’re going to put this on.’ It was like sourdough bread on lockup.”
- On keeping details about their private relationship: “It’s not just for other people. And I don’t say it aggressively.”
Taylor Swift on Joe Alwyn
- On “The Intrusion of Human Life into Public Life”“But I think knowing him and being in a relationship that I am now, I definitely made decisions that made my life feel like real life and less like a story being commented on in the papers.”
- On finding happiness with Alwyn: “I was falling in love with someone who was leading a wonderfully normal and balanced life. Together we decided we wanted our relationship to be special. I was happy. But I wasn’t happy the way I was trained to be happy. It was happiness without anyone else interfering. We were happy. Just “.
- On why their relationship is “not open to discussion”: “I would have learned it if I did it [talk about it], people think that it is up to debate and that our relationship is not up for debate. If you and I were just having a glass of wine right now, we’d be talking about it – but it just goes out into the world. This is where the limits are, and this is where my life has become so manageable. I really want to make him feel manageable.”
- Upon hearing Alwyn come with a Betty choir.: “I just heard Joe sing the whole chorus of ‘Betty’ from another room. And I was like, ‘Hey.'”
- On their shared love of music: “Joe and I really like sad songs. We’ve always been associated with music.”