This story is part of Select’s New & Notable column, where we highlight our favorite product launches, key sales, what to buy, and some of our latest recommendations and tips.
This week, we’ve got new cameras, running shoes, and a machine-washable dog bed that we think you’ll want to know about, plus some great sales worth considering (including but not limited to Memorial Day weekend deals).
New this week
- 32.5 Megapixel from Canon EOS R7 camera and 24.2 megapixels EOS R10 camera Mirrorless cameras are available for pre-order (with shipments expected in June and July, respectively). The brand said these cameras are the first in Canon’s EOS R series to be manufactured with an APS-C crop sensor, which is smaller than the full-frame sensor common in more compact cameras.
- You can now buy the first Panasonic smart microwave compatible with Amazon Alexa NN-SV79MS. Once connected to the Alexa app – or any Alexa-enabled device – you can easily cook or reheat food in the microwave with voice commands.
- Reebok’s first adaptive shoe collection, fit to fit, is a collaboration with Zappos Adaptive that features two styles of shoe designed with features the brand said make it easy to put on and take off for people with disabilities. Designed with a heel pull tab, the Club MEMT Parafit is a wider shoe with a low-cut design and a removable footbed. Both shoes also have a zipper closure on the side to help slip them on.
- Present your parachute dog bed support clothDesigned to provide support for dogs while they rest on it, the brand says. It features a machine-washable cotton canvas cover that you can unzip and remove from the microfiber insert, Parachute added. The dog bed is available in small, medium and large sizes.
On sale this week
Memorial Day sales are happening now, giving you plenty of opportunities to save on products across categories this weekend. Here are some of the brands and retailers that are currently offering discounts.
- procession Offer 30% off until May 31
- etsy Participating sellers are offering 20% off home and living items until June 2
- W&B Offer 20% off until June 12
- Sephora Offers up to 50% off select products until May 30th
- Crane and Parachute Up to 70% off on bedding, sheets, sleepwear and home decor until May 31
Shopping news: rewards, methods and collaboration
- Michaels It began offering additional benefits to members through its rewards program earlier this month: 3% back in rewards on every purchase and 6% back for those who spend $300 or more over a 12-month period.
- Superjob! Glowscreen SPF 40 launched in a new color: Golden Hour.
- Great Jones She collaborated with Molly Paz, recipe developer and cookbook author, on two specific versions of Dutch ovens—the Dutch Baby and The Dutchess—that feature geometric prints. These Dutch ovens are made to order – to secure your ovens, you must pre-order until Monday, May 31.
- From June 1, select Allbirds The shoes will be available in 14 Nordstrom stores across the country. They’ll be coming to Nordstrom’s website later this year, as well as expanding into more stores.
What we bought this week
I use the Great Jones Holy Sheet daily, and after months of staring longingly at the brand’s set of two small sheets, I finally bought it in a raspberry shade that adds a much-needed pop of color to my neutral-colored kitchen. Quarter-size sheet pans have the same features I love about the Holy Sheet, but in a smaller version that’s perfect for baking half a dozen cookies or cooking dinner for one. The pans feature raised edges and a ceramic non-stick coating, and are oven-safe to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as dishwasher-safe, according to the brand. Great Jones is currently hosting Memorial Day Sale (you can save 25% with code MDW25), so I may just have to buy another set.
– Zoe MalinEditing trainee
A few weeks ago, after my wife’s cooking set off the fire alarm, we decided to move the cast iron pot she was using outside where it could smoke itself silly. Then we left it there. Then it rained. Then it rained a few times – and we left it there for a few more days. Then I wanted steak. So I needed the pot and it was time to get it back into shape, a job that would involve undoing rain and weather damage, including some rust. As I’ve done before when it comes to rejuvenating cast iron, I turned to Bar Keepers Friend, who we mentioned in our guide to cleaning grills—less than 10 minutes of application, scrubbing, washing and drying left me a clean pot (and then a delicious steak).
– Gideon Grodomanaging editor
What we recommended this week
- To recommend AAPI-owned brands to shop from, we confirmed the Census Bureau’s 51 percent ownership criteria with business leaders.
- To recommend the best sunscreen for acne-prone skin, we spoke to dermatologists to round up the oil- and fragrance-free options that won’t clog pores.
- To recommend Memorial Day sales on furniture, mattresses, and more, we used price trackers like Honey and CamelCamelCamel to compare price histories.
- To recommend the best Father’s Day gifts for every type of dad, we’ve drawn inspiration from our coverage over the past year and included options across categories.
Follow Select’s in-depth coverage of personal finance, technology, tools, wellness and more, and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to stay informed.