do you receive Inman’s Broker Edge? Make sure you are subscribed here.
Spotlight on Psychics: Anthony Margulies, Amalfi Estates
Noun: Anthony Margulies
Title: Founder and owner of Amalfi real estate
expertise: Founded in 1994
location: Pacific Palisades, California
Ranking: No. 15 in LA Business Journal ‘Best residential real estate agents in 2021, real trends 42nd mid-size team in the US, and 21st in California by size (based on 2020) real trends data)
Team size: 9 agents plus four support staff
Aspects of the deal: 181 sides for 2021
Sales volume: $471 million in 2021 and more than $2 billion since inception
Why Anthony Margulies is in the spotlight:
Since the founding of Amalfi Estates in the mid-1990s, Marguleas has built it into one of the leading independent real estate companies in Los Angeles, with nearly $2 billion in property sales and ratings in WSJ’s Top 25 national teams.
Featured Before News lettersThe beautiful life networkAnd The Wall Street JournalAnd Consumer Reports and the Los Angeles Times. He is the co-author of California Real Estate Client Strategies and has guest lectured thousands of students in the UCLA Real Estate Principles class.
Marguleas is dedicated to giving back to the community, donating 10 percent of his commission from every sale among six charities: Make-a-Wish, Wags and Walks, American Cancer Society, Heal The Bay, The People Concern that helps homelessness and Homeboy Industries. He himself is a cancer survivor, and he and his team have donated more than $2 million since 2015, helping more than 50,000 families.
What do you wish more people knew about working in real estate?
This cannot be done part-time and you need to dedicate 60 to 80 hours a week to be successful. It’s not as easy as reality TV shows.
What are 5 things you would like your readers to know about you and your brokerage?
- We give 10 percent of our commission to charity and have helped 50,000 families in the past six years through our charitable initiative, totaling $2,000,000 to our six charitable partners.
- I am a social introvert and have a hard time socializing in groups.
- I have never knocked on the door or called a cold.
- I had a rare cancer, rhabdomyosarcoma, when I was 26 and had little chance of survival. He underwent radiation, chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation.
- I ended up marrying my oncology nurse.
Tell us about a high point in your brokerage career.
Our incredible team of nine sales partners donated $500,000 last year to charity, allowing for:
- 42,687 meals for the homeless by The People Concern
- 118 cancer patients and their caregivers received a one-week stay while receiving oncology treatments through the American Cancer Society
- 154 gang members have their tattoos removed so they can get jobs via Homeboy Industries
- 246 dogs rescued and cared for via Wags and Walks
- 8 Wishes Granted to Critically or Deadly Children via Make a Wish
- 2,045 pounds of trash removed from the California coast through Heal the Bay
Also, last year we auctioned off the most expensive home at the time, the Heart Estate, for $63.1 million.
What is your highest prediction for 2022?
As the volume of transactions decreases and the number of new agents increases, there will be many part-time agents going out of business.
Name 3 people who like you and tell us why.
- Elon Musk: He’s amazing and he’s made a real difference through his different companies trying to solve big world problems like climate change and traffic congestion.
- Verl Workman (Founder of Workman Success): She has a positive attitude, great energy and is always looking to create products for better customers’ lives.
- Jay Gal (founder of SIDE): He’s a real visionary. Jay and his partners created a business model that had not existed before. He can look at the big picture and express his thoughts in a way that not many people can.
Do you know someone who should be featured in the spotlight on the upcoming medium? Please send nominations to [email protected]